Statue of Reuters founder in City of London - photographs
by Stephen Hewitt | Published 9 April 2021
The photographs here, taken in September 2014, show a statue of the man who founded Reuters news agency, Paul Julius Reuter (1816 - 1899).
The statue was photographed in the City of London - a district within London with a unique legal status - behind the Royal Exchange Buildings, Bishopsgate, EC3V 3NL. (OpenStreetMap marker).
The photograph of the front of the statue shows the following text in raised, curved lettering:
PAUL JULIUS REUTER BORN 1816 KASSEL * GERMANY DIED 1899 NICE * FRANCE FOUNDED THE WORLD NEWS ORGANISATION THAT BEARS HIS NAME IN NO 1 ROYAL EXCHANGE BUILDINGS IN THE CITY OF LONDON NEAR THIS SITE ON 14 OCTOBER 1851
The photograph of the back of the statue shows twenty four lines of text reading as follows:
THE SUPPLY OF INFORMATION TO THE WORLD'S TRADERS IN SECURITIES, COMMODITIES AND CURRENCIES WAS THEN AND IS NOW THE MAINSPRING OF REUTERS ACTIVITIES & THE GUARANTEE OF THE FOUNDER'S AIMS OF ACCURACY, RAPIDITY AND RELIABILITY- NEWS SERVICES BASED ON THOSE PRINCIPLES NOW GO TO NEWS PAPERS RADIO & TELEVISION NETWORKS & GOVERNMENTS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. REUTERS HAS FAITHFULLY CONTINUED THE WORK BEGUN HERE. TO ATTEST THIS & TO HONOUR PAUL JULIUS REUTER THIS MEMORIAL WAS SET HERE BY REUTERS TO MARK THE 125TH ANNIVERSARY OF REUTERS FOUNDATION & INAUGURATED BY EDMUND L de ROTHSCHILD.TD 13-10-76
- Statue of chief of WW2 Bomber Command in central London - photos 2017, The Strand
- Photograph of a bust of Osman Kazazi in Tirana, Albania 2009 October 2009, Tirana
- Reporters protecting sources: in 2021 Reuters removed a clause from its “Standards and Values” web page January 2022 Analysis of archived web pages
- Observer article: How the FO waged secret propaganda war in Britain Richard Fletcher, George Brock & Phil Kelly, Observer, 29 January 1978, page 2
- Guardian article: David Leigh recounts the 30-year history of the Foreign Office's covert propaganda operation David Leigh, Guardian, 27 January 1978, page 13
- BBC article: How the UK secretly funded a Middle East news agency Martin Rosenbaum, BBC, 13 January 2020 (IRD funded Reuters, including via BBC)
- Reuters article: Britain secretly funded Reuters in 1960s and 1970s - documents Guy Faulconbridge, Reuters, 13 January 2020 (IRD funded Reuters, including via BBC)
- Declassified UK article: Britain's hidden ‘information’ policy in the Middle East John McEvoy, Declassified UK, 17 March 2020 (Declassified 1960s files: “British officials consistently emphasised the importance of dominating the airwaves”...)