Photograph of metallic gold on a chrysalis in England
by Stephen Hewitt | Published 30 January 2022
The photographs here show metallic gold areas on an unidentified chrysalis that was discovered hanging on a leaf in a vegetable garden in England on 29 September 2021. On the chrysalis were three parallel lines of spikes with the metallic gold coloured areas on or between some of the spikes.
It was attached by silk threads to the underside of a horseradish leaf. The detail of the threads is visible in the third photograph. Cultivated plants growing next to the horseradish included chard, cavolo nero and rocket.
The fourth photograph shows the chrysalis apparently unchanged two weeks later.
- Display of the moths found in a Cornish garden managed for wildlife 23 June 2019 at Lethytep, Penadlake, Lanreath, PL13 2PG
- Caterpillar parasitoids in cocoons photographed in England 20 September 2021, England
- Six-spot burnet moth photographs showing proboscis July 2021, England
- Photograph of a cabbage white butterfly with her eggs laid on a kale leaf August 2021, England (Pieris brassicae)
- Photo of Cormorant in a Cambridge tree February 2018, by the river Cam in a designated Local Nature Reserve