NATO Chief warns on Saddam war
Varsity, 7 February 2003, page 2
NATO's European Commander-in- Chief has defended a possible war in Iraq but warned that if it occurs the West may be dragged into a drawn out and damaging conflict. "America have made the assumption that the Iraqi army will not fight. I think that's wrong. If they retreat into the towns then you could end up with a siege-like situation, and in that the first to die will be civilians."
General Sir Jack Deverell was speaking as part of the McMenemy Seminars at Trinity Hall.
- Second petition against Iraq war handed to Cambridge MP 3 February 2003, Cambridge: petition with over 3,200 signatures given to Anne Campbell
- External article: Petition highlights anti-war message Cambridge Evening News, 25 January 2003, page 13
- External article: "IT'S A NO TO WAR" Cambridge Evening News, 6 February 2003, page 1
- External Article: NO 82% are against Iraq war Cambridge Evening News, 7 February 2003, page 1
- External article: Campaigners hand in petition for peace East Anglian Daily Times, Saturday 8 February 2003